In response to the generosity of God we want to be generous in our own giving, recognising that this happens in many different ways. The church could not exist without people giving their time, skills, energies and money.
Our financial aims are:
- To celebrate what God has done.
- To celebrate the generosity of the church members.
- To promote a theologically and financially informed and involved membership.
- To provide a clear link between our giving and the mission of the church.
- To remove the taboo associated with money so that finance is seen as an integral part of church membership.
- To encourage and enable those who, owing to personal circumstances, wish to give by non-financial means.
As part of the Church of England we pay an annual amount to the Diocese to support clergy salaries and pensions including support for churches that are not able to afford to support their own clergy. The Diocese also uses the money to employ a small group of people to give specialist support to parishes and clergy. This money is called the Parish Share.
The majority of our income comes from the generous gifts and regular donations of our congregations and as well as paying our Parish Share we use this income to:
- pay the salaries of our staff and pay our bills,
- maintain the church grounds and buildings
- enable mission and encourage community in the parish.
We allocate 10% of the money given to Christ Church to support many missionary and social concern groups that as a church we feel we want to support together.
Recognising that giving happens in many ways, if you would like to give to Christ Church financially there are different ways of doing this:
- Standing Order (our preferred option as this helps us to plan)
- Stripe – coming soon
- Smaller donations may also be made in cash
We also seek to be tax efficient so, for example, for every £100 given by tax payers we aim to recover £25 from HMRC via the government’s Gift Aid scheme.
How To Give
If you would like to give to the church, it would be helpful if you would fill in one of our Donation Forms, which contains details of the church’s bank account for setting up standing orders and bank transfers. The form also includes a section for specifying your Gift Aid preferences. Please note that in order to qualify for Gift Aid, you must pay in any tax year, at least as much income or capital gains tax as your donation divided by 4.
Either download a Donation Form or collect one from the back of church.
Completion of a Donation Form enables us to correctly set up our records for your giving and is a legal requirement if we are to claim tax refunds on your donations via the Gift Aid scheme.
Your completed form may either be placed in the “Completed Donation Forms” box at the back of church or alternatively may be given or posted to our giving co-ordinator. Our giving co-ordinator will be happy to answer any queries, including any questions you may have regarding the Gift Aid scheme. She may be emailed at Karen@ChristChurchChilwell.org.uk.